Thursday, November 24, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole

Because Ross's REAL birthday was on Turkey Day - he requested that we make his favorite Thanksgiving dish....his grandmas sweet potato recipe!  I was up for the challenge....Bestemor lives in Duluth so I called her to get the recipe - and she said she would mail it to me....I paused for a second....mail...not email....haha.  But I got the recipe in time - and now I have a cutie recipe card from her!

I was instructed to NOT get yams....DON'T GET YAMs!!  I wanted this to be perfect cause I was following some big shoes - but I didn't have time to run to the grocery store, so sir Rossy went for me.  When it came time to cook the sweet potatoes I noticed those bad boys weren't ORANGE.....uh oh....He had gotten YAMS!!!  hahahahahah  To be fair - the "grocery store" messed up cause the bins were labeled incorrectly....heheheh.  We decided to make them anyways - and let me tell you....THEY WERE AMAZING!!  We got TONS of compliments on them - so if yams aren't as good as sweet potatoes, I'm sure you could win some rewards with this recipe!!  It was super tasty!!

From Bestemor: Serves 8-10

Ingredients:
3-4 New Jersey sweet potatoes (about 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes)
1 cup sugar)
1stick butter (1/2 cup); soft
1/2 cup evaporated milk (carnation blend)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup frosted flakes (crushed)
1/2 cup brown sugar
 1/2 cup chopped pecans/walnuts

Bake sweet potatoes in oven for about 1 hour - until fork tender (I did this the night before).  I basically just peeled off skin - chopped them in half - threw on a pan - topped with some olive oil - and cooked on 350 until they were done.  Then mash them up.

Blend potatoes, sugar, 1/2 stick butter, evaporated milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt together in mixer.  Put into greased 9x13 pan.

 Melt 1/2 stick butter, add brown sugar, and stir in frosted flakes and nuts.  Spread on top of sweet potato mixture.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

No comments: