Thursday, November 24, 2011

Oreo Turkeys

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!!!!!!  I hope everyone had a GREAT and THANKFUL Turkey Day :)  ahhh I love today!!  So much to be thankful for - AND I love all the traditions!!  From the Turkey Trot 5k to start the day - to the dressing my grandpa used to make - to the sleigh ride song - to playing bingo with buttons -- to the grand lighting of the house!!  I LOVE it all :)

We are heading to the Sodahls first so I made up Bestemor's recipe - check it out here: Sweet Potato Casserole.

And then we are heading to the Ronhovdes for turkey dinner round two :)  I decided to make this cutie dessert!!  I'll be honest - it took some  time......it's pretty putsy, but look how cute they are!!  You could use them for place card holders OR just as a yummy dessert!!  (The little kids had some issues making it through dinner to eat these bad boys!)



Ingredients:
Double Stuff Oreo Cookies (**has to be double stuff - regular just doesn't work....trust me!)Candy Corn
Whoppers
Peanut butter Cups
Chocolate frosting
Yellow Frosting
Red frosting

First step:  Grab a cookie.  You don’t have to put frosting in there, but it holds in the candy corn a little better. Just give it a little squeeze of chocolate.

Then stuff in your candy corn.  If you’re in some sort of candy corn shortage, you can cut off the white tips to use later for your beaks.  I think the candy corn sticks in better with the tip so I leave it on.  Go ahead and do all of the cookies through this step.

Next put a dab of frosting on the opposite end of the cookie and secure it to the “base” cookie.  It helps to place them next to a wall as they dry so they stay put.

While those are drying, unwrap your PB cups.  Take a sharp knife and cut a sliver off of one end.  It helps to gently cut in a sawing motion so you don’t break the PB cup.

Once those are ready, flip your cookies over, but you may find it’s easy to keep them next to the wall.  My frosting was a bit soft, so they needed the extra support.  Place a dab of frosting on the pb cup, and place it on the cookie like a "body".

Now those little guys will need heads, so glue a whopper on there with frosting as well. I put frosting on the side of the whopper that hits both the cookie and the PB cup.  Wouldn’t want a turkey running around with its head cut off, would we??

While they’re still laying there, use a couple dabs of frosting (I used blue) for the eyes and glue on the white tip of a candy corn for a beak.  I used my red frosting to put the beak on - and then continued with that to add a little "wattle" to the turkey.  (Insert: Ronhovde Turkey Day humor.....)





"Wow - Heidi you have a lot!!" 
Scientific "Ronhovde" fact:
the skinnier you are -
the more weenis you have!!




And I'm back....Once the beak stays put you can flip them over and draw on some little white feet.  This was decided a step that could be skipped if not wanting to spend the time - however, I think it makes them look super cutie :)

And you're DONE!  GOBBLE GOBBLE!!

No comments: