Thursday, May 5, 2011

Baked Jalapeno Poppers

So it was Grey's night at P's house tonight....so made up a new app - and it was yummy!!  It was HOT HOT HOT - but yummy if you like it spicy!  Super easy to make and loved by all.  I ran out of cheese mixture - so I would maybe double that and then you can really stuff the jalapeno's full - cause the filling is the best part!!
Makes 24 - Gina's Skinny Recipe
Ingredients:
12 jalapeno peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
4.5 oz light cream cheese
5 medium scallions, green part only sliced
2 oz shredded low fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup egg whites, beaten
1/2 cup panko crumbs (found next to the other breadcrumbs)
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper
spray oil

Preheat oven to 350.  I wore rubber gloves to cut the peppers - didn't want my eyes to burn when I took my contacts out later.  Scoop out the seeds and membrane.

Combine cream cheese, cheddar, and scallions in a medium bowl.  Combine panko, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in another bowl.

Fill peppers with cheese filling with a small spoon.  Dip pepper in beaten egg whites.  Then put into panko mixture, using a spoon to make sure all the seasoning doesn't fall to the bottom of the bowl.  Spray a baking pan with oil spray.  I lined my pan with parchment for easier cleanup.  Lightly spray the peppers with a little more oil spray.

Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, until golden and cheese oozes out.  Remove from oven and serve immediately.

No comments: