Friday, March 11, 2011

Sour Cream Poppyseed Streusel Muffins

So at cookbook on Thursday we were too full to make these muffins - so I thought since the Sodahls were home this weekend, I would try them out for some breakfast sides!!  Now I love my bread - but I'm not usually fan of muffins....home cooked breads (banana bread...etc), but these muffins -- LOVE THEM!!  It's like a dessert after my bfast!!  Try them out and you will love them I promise!!
As you can see from the pic - I must have filled my cups too high because these turned into gigantor muffins, but just more loving for your belly!!

Ingredients:
2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (trick to making this: take 1 tablespoon white vinegar and put in measuring cup - then add milk so it goes up to 1 cup....stir and let sit for 5 min)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
8oz container light sour cream

Streusel
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoon butter, melted
2 teaspoon poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 375.  Prepare streusel by combining the streusel ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.  To prepare muffins, combine sifted flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Make a well in the center of the mixture.

Combine buttermilk and remaining muffin ingredients in a small bowl and add to flour mixture, stirring until just moist.  Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups.  Sprinkle evenly with streusel mixture.  Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove muffins from pan immediately and place on a wire rack to cool.

No comments: