Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Beans Beans the Magical Fruit ..... CHILI

We had a CHILI cookbook club - so I posted two of our favorites.  They all had something unique about them - and they all tasted really good.  Plus, you can make any in a crockpot for a very easy work night meal :)

And I'm editing this blog....we are heading up to Lutsen this weekend and how easy / awesome is it to make chili ahead of time and then just heat it up once you are there for a yummy/fast meal!!  I made a combo of the "Best with Beer" and "spicy (see below)" chili- so get ready Lusten friends :)

WHOO and my cousin Jenn got me these AWESOME cutie gloves for xmas this year!!  I use them not only for doing dishes (so you don't ruin your hands!) but also to cut jalapeno's.....I have contacts, so I cut those bad boys up and my eyes hate me later when I go to take my contacts out ....this way - put on the gloves, chop, and my eyes still love me later :)  You totally wish you had some....

Lori Chili
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (browned)
1c diced onions
3/4 cup chopped green peppers
garlic salt
1 (16oz) cut up tomatoes
2 (16oz) cans hot chili beans
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1/2  tsp dried basil
1 can red kidney beans
sugar

Brown ground beed in skillet.  Add everything together - and put in crock pot for 6-8 hours on low.

Spicy Chili
Serves 6
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 (15oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 (11 oz) can whole kernal corn, drained
1/2 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2 (6oz) can tomato paste
1 cup water
1 jalapeno pepper
1 habanero pepper
1/4 red onion
1 large clove garlic
1 tablespoon and 1-3/4 teaspoons masa harina flour (or regular flour worked)
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon white sugar (optional)
Place the beef in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain grease.


In a large pot, mix the beans, corn, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. In a food processor, finely chop the jalapenos, habanero, onion, and garlic. Mix into the pot. Mix in the cooked beef. Stir in masa flour. Season with cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and sugar. Cook 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

No comments: