Thursday, February 17, 2011

Cheesesteak Sandwiches

So the plan was to go cross country skiing tonight with Meghan, so we wanted a hearty meal to come back to after our hard workout......HOWEVER - it RAINED (yes rained in Feb!) so the trails were closed.  Instead, we decided to have cocktails and I have to say - this might be a favorite meal of mine!!  Got this recipe from the Our Best Bite blog - and I'm SO glad that I tried them!!  I can't wait for Ross to come home and have leftovers - he is going to HEART it so much!!  Made this with some yummy Sweet Potato Fries - went great with it!!

Cheese Steak Sandwich
Ingredients:
1 lb steak (I got the fajita cut meat at the store - it comes already cut into little pieces)
2 tablespoon butter
1 green pepper
1 medium yellow onion
provolone slices
Franks red hot sauce
4-6 Hoagie rolls
kosher salt and ground pepper

Slice pepper and onion (I used my food processor and that was perfection - and so easy!).  Then cut up the meat into small bite size pieces.  I got the fajita cut steak at the grocery store - it literally already comes in strips so all I did was cut that into even smaller pieces - worked perfect!!

Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet.  Add steak and stir-fry.  Season heavily with salt and pepper.  When meat is about half cooked, add peppers and onions.  Stir occasionally, cooking until most of the liquid is evaporated and meat is cooked through.  Season with hot sauce - I used a lot :)

Slice buns and spoon steak mixture inside.  Top with a slice of provolone and place under broiler for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is slightly toasted.  Then enjoy the best sandwich ever!!

No comments: