Monday, December 20, 2010

GUAC!!

So this isn't new - but it's probably the only "dish" I've perfected :)  We had tacos tonight - which means GUAC!!  I put my perfected recipe down below - along with some suggestions / tips....it's ALMOST as good as Chipotles!

Ingredients:
3 avocadoes (peeled, pitted, mashed)
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 red onion, diced
salt / cayenne pepper      (this is something you can skip if you don't have on hand)
2 tablespoon cilantro       (this is something you can skip too...but it tastes oh so yummy!)
1/2 jalapeno                       (you can skip this too if you want - esp if you don't like the kick)
1 tablespoon garlic
1 limes juice

Mix all together - refridge a bit before serving.  If you have leftovers - throw a little more lime juice in to keep it from turning brown.

Also, while I was making it - I thought it might be very Rachel Ray of me to put some cooking tools on here as well.  During cookbook club - I realized not everyone has been to quite as many Pampered Chef parties as I have, so thought it would be fun to put some of my favorite "go-to" cooking tools.  Pay attention you engaged girls - I would totally register for some of these :)

So the minced garlic - yeah you can't register for that but it's such a lifesaver!  We pretty much have garlic in about everything we eat....so instead of having to mince a garlic clove daily - we just went this route.  It works great - and if you like flavor, my only suggestion would be to double the amount it says.

On to the scissors...I for real use this EVERY meal.  If you don't like to touch / cut raw chicken - this is your friend.  I use this to cube/cut any meat....even bacon.  The reason I used it for quac - was for the cilantro.  It's such an easy way to cut up herbs- you just need to put the fresh herbs kinda in a bunch and then just cut away.  It's so awesome - and way faster than actually "cutting" up herbs.

Last (but not least!) is the nifty little tool in black....I use this everytime I make quac / mashed potatoes.  Basically it's just a "spoon" to mash up the avocado - but it works really good!  I also use it with mashed potatoes (once they are soft) - to sort of mix it all together.  I got this at a Pampered Chef party - so if you ever attend what and are panicking about "what you really would use" - if you like either, buy it up!!

2 comments:

Tiffany C. said...

What also works well for mashing, put the avocados in a ziploc bag, zip it shut, and use your fingers to mash the avocado until you get the desired texture (chunky or smooth). This seems to take less time and makes less of a mess. Just in case you are making guac on the road and don't have your masher, I thought I'd better share. :)

Lisa said...

ha ha LOVE it :)