Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Shrimp Nacho Bites

Cookbook club in the house!!  It was "Wine-o night" at cookbook, so we made some yummy wine apps to help cleanse our palates!!  This was SUPER good!!  As in - we ate them all....every last bit!  Super easy to make too!!  We had an absentee tonight - so we didn't have the supplier of tortilla chips - but I had some scoops on hand, and those worked great!!  I know it says "if desired" with the cilantro leaves - but let's just say "it's desired!"  It would have tasted even better with cilantro on top!!
Makes 24 appetizers – 40 calories per app

Ingredients:
24 large corn tortilla chips
½ cup black bean dip (from 9-oz can)
¼ cup chunky-style salsa
24 cooked peeled deveined medium shrimp (about ½ lb)
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into 24 slices **Dobes was really good at cutting avocadoes - so I caught her in the act!!
½ cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese blend (2 oz)
24 fresh cilantro leaves, if desired

Directions:
Top each tortilla chip with about 1 teaspoon bean dip, ½ teaspoon salsa, 1 shrimp, 1 avocado slice and about 1 teaspoon cheese.  Place on cookie sheet.

Set oven control to broil.  Broil with tops about 5 inches from heat 2-3 minutes or just until cheese is melted.  Garnish with cilantro leaves.  Serve immediately.


WINE-O PLUG

Here are some of the wines we sampled - all were really good!!  I'm a "white" girl - however, I brought the Flock cause it's one of those only red wines I'll drink.  So if you "don't drink red" - give it a try!!  It's a little sweeter - I said it smelt and tasted a bit smoky - would go good with gouda cheese.

The Toasted Head was really good too - Perrine is the red drinker, so she brought that - but from my small sample standpoint - I liked it :)

And of course, I liked everything else - I'll drink any white wine :)

Five Friends - Chardonnay
Chateau Ste Michelle- Harvest select Riesling
Chateau Ste Michelle- Sauvignon Blanc
Flock - Pinot Noir
Toasted Head - Cabernet Sauvignon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This one looks and sounds really good. Will have to show Mom.

Dad