Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Steak with Cauliflower and Crunchy Bread Crumbs

So I got a new cookbook last week (Real Simple Easy Delicious Meals), and I've been dying to try it out!!  Yes getting a new cookbook seriously made my day!!  I went back to having Ro just call out a # since the whole book looked good - so cauliflower, sure I'll give you a try!!  So the breading / capers / parsley on the cauliflower saved the meal for me....if I didn't have that - not sure I could have eaten the cauliflower...for real - it's like eating a plant.  Steak - always yummy!!  I would also cook some mushrooms (fresh or canned) with the garlic / steak....hmmm makes my mouth just water thinking about it!!  So yes - all in all, good first meal from the cookbook :)
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 small baguette, torn into small pieces (about 2 cups)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon capers (found this in the pickle aisle)
6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 1/2 lb strip steak
kosher salt and pepper
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets

Heat oven to 400.  On a baking sheet, toss the bread with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil.  Arrange in an even layer and bake until golden and crisp, 5-6 minutes.  Transfer to a bowl and toss with parsley and capers; set aside.  Reserve the baking sheet.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and the garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Season the steak with salt and pepper and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes per side.  Transfer the steak to the baking sheet and roast to the desired doneness - about 6-8 minutes for medium-rare.  Let rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.

Add the cauliflower to 1/2 cup water to the skillet and cook, covered, until the cauliflower is tender and the water has evaporated, 6-7 minutes.  Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and serve with steak.

No comments: